Wednesday, August 5, 2026

When the Message Doesn't Meet Our Wants

 

When God Doesn't Remove the Battle

Learning to Trust the One Who Fights Beside You

I remember sitting in my truck long after everyone else had gone home.

The parking lot was almost empty, but I couldn't bring myself to turn the key. Inside the building, a decision had been made that would change everything. My workload had doubled. Expectations had risen. People were looking to me for answers I wasn't sure I had.

For the first time in years, I wondered if I was in over my head.

I had prayed for opportunities. I had asked God to use me. I had wanted to grow.

I just hadn't imagined growth would feel like this.

That night I asked the question many of us eventually ask.

"Lord... if You're with me, why does this feel so hard?"

Silence.

Not the silence of abandonment.

The silence of a Teacher waiting for His student to think.

The next morning, nothing had changed.

The emails were still waiting. The difficult conversations still needed to happen. The deadlines hadn't moved. I secretly hoped God would open a door that would let me escape the pressure.

Instead, He handed me enough strength for one more day.

Then another.

And another.

Over time, something unexpected began to happen.

The challenge that I had prayed would disappear slowly became the place where God was changing me.

Every difficult meeting forced me to learn patience instead of reacting.

Every impossible decision taught me to stop depending on my own understanding and begin asking for His wisdom first.

Every obstacle uncovered weaknesses I never knew I had—but instead of exposing them to shame me, God exposed them so He could strengthen them.

Looking back now, I realize I had misunderstood how God often works.

I wanted Him to remove the battle.

He wanted to prepare me for it.

For weeks, I kept asking .God the same question: "Why don't You just fix this?"

I wasn't asking for wealth or recognition. I wasn't asking for an easier life. I simply wanted enough relief to catch my breath. 

Instead, each morning brought another decision that stretched me beyond what I thought I could handle.

One morning, before leaving for work, I opened my Bible more out of exhaustion than expectation. My eyes settled on a verse I'd read dozens of times.

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14)

I almost laughed.

Be still?

That sounded impossible.

There were deadlines to meet, people depending on me, problems that weren't going to solve themselves. Stillness was the last thing my life seemed to allow.

But as I continued reading, I noticed something I had overlooked for years.

Israel wasn't standing on a peaceful hillside enjoying God's blessings. They were trapped.

The Egyptian army was closing in behind them. The sea stretched endlessly before them. There was no obvious escape, no clever strategy, no amount of effort that could change their circumstances.

What God confronted first wasn't the Egyptian army. It was their fear. They were convinced the battle would be won or lost by their own strength, their own planning, and their own ability to control the situation.

That's when Moses spoke the words that changed everything. "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

For the first time, I understood that "be still" wasn't God's invitation to do nothing.

It was His invitation to stop living as though everything depended on me.

I still had responsibilities. I still needed to show up, work hard, prepare, make difficult decisions, and lead well. But I didn't have to carry the burden of believing I was fighting alone.

That realization changed the way I approached every challenge.

Instead of beginning my mornings with worry, I began them with prayer.

Instead of asking, "How am I going to get through this?" I started asking, "Lord, what are You teaching me today?"

Without realizing it, the very things that had once intimidated me became familiar ground. Conversations that used to make my stomach tighten became opportunities to practice wisdom. Decisions that once stole my sleep became invitations to seek God's direction before making my own plans. The problems hadn't disappeared.

They had simply stopped defining me.

Looking back now, I can see that God wasn't delaying my breakthrough.

He was preparing me for it.

He was developing the kind of character that could carry the very blessings I had been praying for.

Leadership wasn't learned in comfort. Neither was courage.

And when the time is right, you'll discover that the obstacle you begged Him to remove became the place where you learned to trust Him the most.

___________________________________________________________________________

If you have enjoyed this article, please follow Integrative Life Mindset on Facebook and Instagram. Recommend to a friend or family member and grow their journey!

Many of life’s journeys go better when you have someone on your side who can help you put together a plan with goals that are reachable. Working with Coach can help you succeed. Visit our website at www.integrativelifemindset.com and reach out to schedule an appointment today!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Integrative Life Mindset

  🌟 Unlock the Mindset That Transforms Everything Where neuroscience, emotional mastery, and integrative coaching come together to create...